Pocatello Community Recreation Center Indoor Climbing Wall
The indoor climbing wall at the Community Recreation Center is open each year when weather is not conducive to outdoor climbing.
Open Climb Nights (Seasonal)
- OPENS FOR SEASON: November 7, 2023
- SCHEDULE: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- HOLIDAY CLOSURES:
- Thursday, November 23, 2023
- Tuesday, December 26, 2023
- BELAY CERTIFICATIONS: Tuesdays from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- WEE ROCK (AGES 2–5): Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (ages 2–5)
- Available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Wall capacity is at the discretion of staff, based on the skill level of participants
- Shoe rental is available for $3.00
- LIABILITY WAIVER/MEDICAL RELEASE FORM (PDF)
Climbing Wall Rules
- Climbing wall staff will be in charge at all times during open climbing sessions.
- ALL climbing wall users must fill out a liability waiver/medical form. Users under 18 years must have a liability waiver signed by parent or legal guardian.
- Helmets are required for all youth under 18. Adults may opt out of helmets.
- All belayers must be a minimum of 16 years of age. Belayer’s skills must be observed and approved during belay certification workshops on Tuesdays from 6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Certifications will not be offered during open climb times.
- Climbers being trained for belay certifications who are not yet approved must use a back-up belayer as determined by the climbing wall staff.
- Youth must stay below the red dotted line when bouldering. Adults must stay below the blue dotted line when bouldering. Staying below includes hands.
- 8 years of age is the minimum age for bouldering. The climbing wall staff reserves the right to decline the opportunity to boulder at any time.
- Proper climbing equipment must be used. Equipment determined to be improper by climbing wall staff will not be allowed.
- NO lead climbing
- NO swinging on ropes
- Liability waiver/medical forms must be updated every October 1
- Chalk balls are allowed; loose chalk is prohibited
- Guests cannot climb barefoot; CLOSED-TOE SHOES are required to climb
- Guests are not allowed to grab carabiners or belay devices for themselves
- Attendants can refuse to allow guests to climb or be in the climbing area.
- Attendants do NOT belay guests under any circumstances. Climbing guests must have a belayer present or they can boulder.
- Any groups with uncontrolled children will be asked to leave. Determination of uncontrolled children is at the discretion of the climbing wall attendants.
- Any youth under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Climbing gym capacity is 16 individuals. If climbing wall attendants feel it is unsafe, they can establish a maximum of less than 16 individuals.
We would love to host your youth group, scout group, team, or other group!
- GROUP SIZE: Minimum of 5; Maximum of 20
- GROUP RATE:
- $45 minimum fee (up to 10 participants) + $15 setup fee
- Additional participants are $5 each
- Example: A group size of 15 for two hours would cost:
minimum fee + setup fee + five additional participants
$45 + $15 + $25 = $85
- TIME: 2 hours maximum
- ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Groups are required to have at least two adults that will belay for the group. Belay experience not required, but recommended. Belaying can be taught on site.
- SCHEDULING: Reservations are required two weeks in advance. Call or email with a few dates and times that you are interested in. Reservations are dependent on staff availability.
- PAYMENT: Payment is required to confirm your reservation. Once we have agreed on a date for your activity and we have received a receipt for your payment, then your reservation will be uploaded into our system. The reservation is not final until payment has been processed.
- Please contact Outdoor Recreation with any questions or to schedule at 208-234-6237 or Andrea Faust.