City of Pocatello Frequently Asked Questions

How can I rent a dumpster?

The Sanitation Department offers dumpster rental services to help homeowners, business owners, and contractors clean up messes big and small. Our dumpster rentals provide low-cost and efficient cleanup solutions for businesses, remodels, renovations, clean outs, and many more projects.

Where can I buy a Pocatello Flag?

The Chamber of Commerce sells full-sized flags for $50.  They are located at 324 S. Main Street and can be reached at 208-233-1525.

Who do I talk to about my neighbor’s tree near our common property line?

We encourage neighbors to talk to each other and work out issues on private property where the City has no jurisdiction.  For trees that are encumbering a sidewalk, growing into the street, or blocking traffic signs and signals, please contact City Hall at 208-234-6163 or submit a service request using the Pocatello Connect mobile app.

Does the City have recycling drop-off locations?

The City of Pocatello provides curbside recycling of certain papers, plastics, and metals to its utility customers. Glass recycling is offered at drop-off bins located throughout the city. For questions regarding the City’s programs, please call the Sanitation Department at 208-234-6192. General recycling items (no television) are also accepted at these locations:

  • Western Recycling
    3034 Garret Way, Pocatello
  • Pacific Recycling
    3575 US Hwy 30, Pocatello

Where do I pay my parking/traffic ticket?

Payment for parking tickets may be dropped into one of the blue boxes in front of City Hall or inside the Pocatello Police Department at 911 North 7th Avenue. Moving violations are paid at the Bannock County Court House at 624 East Center Street.

How can I pay my utility bill?

You may use any of the following methods to pay your utility bill:

  • Submit your payment online through the bill pay system
  • Call 208-234-6241 to pay by phone with a debit or credit card
  • Pay in person at the Utility Billing office located in City Hall at 911 North 7th Avenue
  • Leave your payment in one of the blue payment drop boxes in front of City Hall at 911 North 7th Avenue
  • Mail your payment through the United States Postal Service

How do I get a business license for the City of Pocatello?

The City of Pocatello does not require a general business license. However, the following types of businesses do require a license:

  • Alcohol sales
  • Auctioneers
  • Boarding houses
  • Concessions
  • Christmas tree lots
  • Crossing guards
  • Day care facilities (meaning a person caring for one or more children, other than their own or relatives, for which they are receiving compensation)
  • Door-to-door sales
  • Private investigators
  • Security guards
  • Taxi cab business
  • Sexually oriented businesses and their employees

For more information about these licenses, please contact the Licensing Enforcement Division of the Pocatello Police Department at 208-234-6285. For information about signs, please contact Planning and Development Services at 208-234-6184. And for information about remodeling your building, please call the Building Department at 208-234-6158.

What utilities are offered in Pocatello?

The City of Pocatello owns and operates the water, sanitation, and wastewater utilities for Pocatello residents. Information can be obtained by calling the Utility Billing office at 208-234-6241. Idaho Power is the only electric utility company in Pocatello and can be reached at 208-236-7714. Intermountain Gas provides all the natural gas in the community and can be reached at 208-637-6400.

How do I reserve a park for an event?

For information and reservations, please call the Parks & Recreations Department at 208-234-6232 or visit

What can I do about city residents who do not maintain their property as they should?

Code Enforcement, a division of the Pocatello Police Department, handles issues concerning property maintenance on a complaint basis only. If you have something to report, please call the Code Enforcement Hotline at 208-234-6287 to leave a message or visit the Code Enforcement page. Reports may be made anonymously.

I would like to open a restaurant, do I need a license?

The City of Pocatello does not require a general business license, but it does require a license for selling alcohol. Food service businesses are regulated through the Southeastern Idaho Public Health Department. Please call the Food Program Coordinator at the Idaho Public Health Department at 208-239-5274 for information.

Can I have a business in my home?

Home-based businesses require a home occupation license issued by the Planning & Zoning Department. For information, please call 208-234-6184.

Who is responsible for cleaning and maintaining sidewalks?

All sidewalks should be free of snow and ice daily to enable residents to safely use public sidewalks. Owners, tenants, occupants, and businesses are responsible for cleaning and maintaining their sidewalks. DO NOT move snow into the streets as this is an obstruction and a misdemeanor. Violations may be reported to Code Enforcement at 208-234-6287.

How do I register to vote?

Please contact the Bannock County Elections Office, 141 North 6th Avenue, at 208-236-7329.

What items can I recycle using my blue curbside autocart?

  • Paper—newspaper, magazines, phone books, catalogs, cardboard boxes, food packaging boxes, office paper, note pads, coated paper, junk mail, envelopes, manila folders
  • Plastics—beverage, food, and household cleaner containers marked #1 PET or #2 HDPE that have been rinsed and had their caps securely in place
  • Metals—tin and aluminum cans or containers that have stored food and beverages and have been rinsed

Please DO NOT recycle plastic bags of any kind as they plug sorting machines, including grocery bags, garbage bags, salt pellet bags, etc.

Curbside Recycling Program Brochure

What items can I NOT recycle using my blue curbside autocart?

Glass, plastics marked with #3 through #7 recycling symbols, plastic clam shell containers, plastic deli trays, plastic bags, shredded paper, potato chip bags, paper towels, paper plates, PVC & ABS pipe, medical waster, toys, clothing, carpet, tissue paper, wax-coated beverage containers, cellophane paper, plastic wrap, foam rubber, packaging materials (peanuts, bubble wrap, Styrofoam packaging), Styrofoam containers, ceramic containers, cereal box liners, string, aerosol containers, and any container that has been filled with paint, pesticides, herbicides, or petroleum products. If in doubt, leave it out or call 208-234-6193. Please note that glass can be recycled at drop-off bins located throughout the City.

Where can I obtain a residential parking permit?

Permits are issued by the Pocatello Police Department Records Division located at 911 North 7th Avenue. For more information, please call 208-234-6108.

Where do I get license plates or renew the registration for my vehicles?

Motor Vehicle Registration is available through Bannock County at 130 North 6th Avenue. For information, please call 208-236-7200.

Where do I obtain or renew my driver’s license?

The Bannock County Driver’s License Division is located at the Sheriff’s Office at 5800 South 5th Avenue. For information, please call 208-236-7258. This office also issues concealed weapons permits and handicapped parking stickers.

Does my dog or cat need a license?

  • Dogs—All dogs over the age of three (3) months that reside within the city must be licensed and have the license tag affixed to their collar at all times. Licenses are effective June 1 through May 31. All dog licenses are half price through the month of May. Licenses can be purchased from the Pocatello Animal Shelter located at Upper Ross Park or from City Hall located at 911 North 7th Avenue. Call 208-234-6156 for information. Non-spayed/non-neutered fee: $20.00; spayed/neutered fee: $10.00 (discounts available for senior citizens).
  • Cats—All cats over the age of three (3) months that reside within the city must be licensed. The owner/custodian shall be responsible for providing proof of a registered microchip, which can be used for the purpose of a city tag. Microchips can be purchased at Animal Services, veterinarian clinics, or at microchip clinics. Fee: $5.00.
  • Multiple Animals & Livestock—Anyone with more than two dogs or more than five cats over the age of three months is required to obtain a multiple animal housing permit for $25.00. Permits are also required for livestock and other small animals. Livestock includes animals such as rabbits and chickens. Please contact Animal Services for details and requirements.

Where can I find bus schedules?

Bus schedules are posted at the Pocatello Regional Transit website, or you can call 208-234-6248.

Where is the Bannock County Landfill located?

The Bannock County Solid Waste Landfill is located at 1500 North Fort Hall Mine Road. For information, call 208-236-0607.