- Lateral Entry Officers
Pocatello Police Lateral Entry Hiring Process
The Pocatello Police Department may at any time accept lateral transfer applications. To qualify as a lateral candidate, the applicant must meet the following qualifications:
- Possess an Idaho P.O.S.T certification or be Idaho P.O.S.T certifiable
- Have at least two (2) years of equivalent law enforcement experience
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you may apply as a lateral transfer by opening the City of Pocatello Employment Opportunities page and clicking the Apply button under Police Officer – Lateral Transfer.
Lateral Entry applicants will participate in an oral interview conducted by a panel made up of a cross section of the Pocatello Police Department. The interview may be used to eliminate candidates from the established hiring list.
The Pocatello Police Department has set hiring standards for its police officers. During the hiring process, information may be revealed that would disqualify an individual from being hired as a police officer such as:
- Felony criminal record
- Certain misdemeanors
- Driver’s license suspension within five (5) years of application
- DUI conviction within five (5) years of application
- More than one (1) DUI conviction in a lifetime
- More than five (5) moving traffic convictions within three (3) years of application
- Drug or alcohol dependency
- Illegal use or sale of controlled substances
For more information about police officer hiring standards, you may contact the Police Department Recruitment Office at 208-234-6129.
Decision and Offer Process
Senior Staff Review
Information acquired from the background investigation is reviewed by the senior staff of the Pocatello Police Department.
Conditional Job Offer
If at this stage of the selection process you have met the requirements and a job vacancy exists, you will receive a job offer conditional on meeting the following requirements:
- Truth Verification Test
- Medical, vision, and hearing examinations
- Psychological Suitability Assessment
- Physical Fitness Test
You must successfully pass the physical fitness test approved by P.O.S.T. The exam consists of the following:
- Vertical Jump: minimum of 14 inches
- Sit-ups: minimum of 15 repetitions in one minute
- Maximum Push-ups: minimum of 21 repetitions
- 300-meter Run: maximum time of 77 seconds
- 1.5-mile Run: maximum of 17 minutes and 17 seconds
All new police officers must successfully complete a 16-week field training program conducted by the Pocatello Police Department. The training can be shortened or lengthened depending on need.
All new police officers must successfully complete a one-year probationary period. A condition of probation is that the employee must again pass the P.O.S.T physical fitness test at the end of their probationary period.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER