- Parks & Recreation
- East Fork Mink Creek Nordic Center
- Events & Ski Lessons
Pocatello Ski Events & Lessons at the East Fork Mink Creek Nordic Center
Ski for Free Day
Come to our season kickoff event on Saturday, January 7, 2023! Use our rental equipment at no charge or bring your own to avoid delays. Trail passes are free for the day and volunteer instructors give free mini lessons. We will have rental equipment available in two hour increments. You can sign up for your two hour slot on our website at rent.pocatello.gov. We will have some excess equipment but it is first come, first served and not guaranteed. Consider renting in advance from a ski shop in Pocatello to guarantee a stress free day. Snowshoes are also available. Make sure to check out our Facebook page at Pocatello Outdoor Recreation for more information leading up to the event.
Saturday Ski is four weeks of fun for any age. Younger kids learn the basics of getting around on the snow. Older kids focus on getting some mileage under their belts and refining their skills on bigger hills.
Fee includes daily rental equipment, a trail pass, and instruction. Arrive 30 minutes early the first week to be fitted for equipment.
- Dates: Every Saturday in February 2022
- Times: Ages 5–9, 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon*
Ages 10–12+, 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.*
Ages 13–16+, 2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.*
* First lesson is only one hour
- Fee: $48
- Registration: REGISTER NOW
Nordic Ski and Explore
A basic knowledge of cross-country skiing is required.
This program is designed for those who have cross-country skiing experience but want to expand their skills and explore local Nordic areas. This will be a 3-Part progression class. The first class will be at the East Mink Creek Nordic Center (EMCNC) with a 1-hour lesson followed by a self-guided tour tailored to your ability level. The second class will be at Soda Springs; this area offers flatter terrain and rolling hills. The final class will be back at the EMCNC to tackle the fun and challenging terrain by exploring the more difficult trails such as "Screamer" and "Lost Groomer."
- Dates: December 18, 2022; January 22 and February 26, 2023
- Time: 10 a.m.
- December 18: East Mink Creek Nordic Center
- January 22: Outdoor Recreation Shop (2701 S 2nd Ave)
- February 26: East Mink Creek Nordic Center
- Cost: $20 per class and $10 equipment rental
Sunday Snowshoe & Wine Club
Bring the beverage of your choice. We will sit in the mountains and have a snack and a drink then go for a snowshoe walk. Please plan your drive home responsibly by carpooling. Designated driver gets free snowshoe rentals. No registration necessary.
- Dates: January 8, February 5, and March 5, 2023
- Time: Meet at 12:00 noon; hike begins at 1:00 p.m.
- Location: Yurt at East Fork Mink Creek Nordic Center
- Cost: $5 per car to park; $7 to rent snowshoes (if needed)
Women's Winter Lesson Series
Take a lesson in Nordic skiing from our best instructor, who happens to be female. All classes are limited in size. Sign up for one or all in a package. Advanced registration suggested. Prices are lesson only. Trail passes and rental equipment purchase will be necessary for those without gear or a season pass. Dress to be outside, but active.
- Classic Ski Beginner: January 8 from 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Classic Ski Intermediate+: January 23 from 9:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Skate Ski Beginner: January 8 from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Skate Ski Intermediate+: January 23 from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- 1 class: $20
- 2 classes: $40
- 3 classes: $60
- Entire series: $80
Adult Ski Lessons
Adult ski lessons are scheduled as needed.
- Private lessons (1 adult): $45/hour per person + trail pass and equipment
- Group lessons (2–6 adults): $60/hour per group + trail passes and equipment
Groups over 25 can also receive package deals on equipment and passes. Send an email to Andrea Faust to schedule your family or group.